Penne a la Vodka
Penne pasta tossed in a housemade pink vodka cream sauce with grilled chicken. No topping for $10.95
Three Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese
A creamy blend of cheeses baked with elbow pasta! Add grilled chicken and crumbled bacon for $13.95 Large side of plain mac & cheese $9.95 Small plain side $ 5.25
Apple & Brie Salad
Fresh salad greens with your choice of grilled chicken, tofu, falafel or fried seitan with fresh apples, candied walnuts, dried cranberries, grape tomatoes, and brie cheese in a housemade vinaigrette.
– A fluffy omelet filled with diced tomato, avocado, black beans and cheddar jack cheese. Served with a side of salsa, hash browns and toast.
Bird in a Basket
– Two eggs fried in hash brown “nest” and topped with spicy Sriracha sauce. Served with toast and your choice of bacon, sausage or fruit.
Fregadero de la Cocina
– A flour tortilla filled with scrambled eggs and your choice of omelet fillings Served with a side of salsa, guacamole, hash browns and choice of bacon or sausage.
Toast with a Twist
– Thick sliced brioch bread with a scoop of sweet marscapone cheese and fresh strawberries and bananas. Served with your choice of bacon or sausage.
– A fluffy omelet filled with diced avocado, sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese. Served with hash browns and toast.
– Our fluffy omelet filled with sweet basil, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese. Served with hash browns and toast.
Omelettes to Order
– Fluffy Omelettes -Choice of fillings served with home fries and toast.
– Two eggs (scrambled or fried), with your choice of sausage, bacon, or fruit. Served with a side of hash browns and toast.
Bagel & Lox
– Nova Scotia lox served on a toasted bagel with cream cheese.
On Friday September 25, WesWings sponsored a Wine and Cheese party for the class of 2016 at Beckham Hall. For those who were unable to attend or may have had difficulty hearing due to sound and mic equipment problems, we are posting the details of Ed’s speech here.
Thank you and welcome. I am Ed Thorndike and I, along with my business partner, Karen Polascik, own Wes Wings and The Red & Black Café. As many of you know, Wes Wings will be celebrating its 25th year in business. We have several events planned to celebrate starting with tonight. Next week we’re bringing a group of our staff to NYC to see Hamilton. We are also planning a large celebration next spring and we hope to see all of you then too.
Now in addition to owning WesWings, I am also an alum, class of 1989. I want to welcome you tonight on behalf of the alumni association as well. Over the coming days, weeks and months you will hear a lot of good reasons why you should contribute to the senior class gift. And for those who have or will soon be giving, I thank you for your gift. I know many of you have reasons why you DON’T want to give. I’ve heard them. I’m still paying tuition. I don’t have a job. I have tons of loans. Or maybe you’re just pissed off at one of things the administration has done recently. But here’s the thing. For me. When the smoke clears it comes down to the Wesleyan experience. The Wesleyan experience is special and is what motivates me. It’s been passed down to you and you will soon pass it down to classes that come after you. You’re probably asking yourself, “what is this Wesleyan experience of which you speak so eloquently?” Well I’ll tell you….
It’s football games and basketball and hockey. It’s ultimate Frisbee and West African dance concerts outside. It’s seeing your friends in shows at the ’92 theater. It’s Ebony Singers in the Chapel, it’s research in Hall Atwater
It’s bands at Art House, Buho and Eclectic. It’s parties in the backyards of Fountain. It’s a party ON Fountain. It’s Pine Palace or the Fishbowl. It’s getting a grilled cheese at 2 am from Whey and a breakfast pail from WesWings the next day. It’s O’Rourkes, or Ford News Diner. It’s Thai Gardens, Typhoon and Neon.
Relax it’s still here. We made a lot of changes to the menu but we have only ADDED more items. Your old favorites are still here and now you can make them better.
First the Turkey Panino. Now you order it from the BYO Sandwich menu.
Turkey, cheddar and pesto on grilled focaccia bread. Add some tomatoes it always makes it better.
In addition to the Turkey Panino you can customize lots of Sandwiches.
Under Build Your Own Sandwich you can create just what you want. We still have our famous Cranberry-Apple Tuna. We’ve added
- Home cooked roast beef,
- Baked ham
- House made Hummus
Plenty of bread options and new spreads as well. Any sandwich can be grilled on the panini.
Ten years ago beginning in 2005, we pledged a decade long campaign to contribute 1% of our gross sales from the Red & Black Cafe to support financial aid. Our 1% For Aid campaign has been completed with over $53,000 in contributions. These funds had been restricted to financial aid and since 2009 we specifically directed these funds to the Johannah Justin Jinich ’10 scholarship, (a cause dear to our hearts).
As we begin our 13th year in business at the RBC, we appreciate all the support we’ve received from students and the Wesleyan community. While this particular campaign is now complete, we will continue to support you, our customers, in new ways.
-Karen & Ed
You’ve heard about it. They have cookie dough. Maybe you even ate there during WesFest. But now you’re here, standing in line, with a crowd around you, and you hear one of the cashiers yell, “Can I help who’s next?”
WesWings can be a little daunting the first few times. Some will panic and just order a burger and fries or a chicken sandwich. Our menu is pretty extensive and the choices are vast.
- What kind of bread?
- Regular or spicy fries?
- What kind of sauce?
- Here or to go?
To list just a few of the questions you’ll be asked.
So here are a few ideas to help you get the most out of our little dining establishment.
- Water is free, cups are not. We charge 25 cents for a water cup so if you don’t want to buy a drink, bring your own mug. We do this to reduce waste, not make money.
- To Go containers are free. Our portions are big and delicious so why not bring it home.
What to order?
You’re back. We’re open. What could be better?
The Red & Black Cafe is open (and has been all week) Lot’s of changes at the cafe. New menu featuring breads from Hartford Baking Co. You can build your own sandwiches, salads and wait for it… grilled cheese. Lot’s of toppings, fillings, spreads etc.. Still have some of your favorites including the Thanksgiving sandwich and our apple cranberry tuna. Weekend brunch with all your favorite omelets and a few new specials as well. Also, the folks at IT have been busy this summer and AIRWES is now flying at the bookstore/cafe.
WesWings re-opens tonight at 5pm. We’ve been working on new specials for the semester and are almost as excited as you are for the first pails of the year Sunday morning. We have a lot of exciting news and events we’ll be sharing in the coming days and weeks. If you haven’t heard Swings is turning 25. As always, both locations take points. Be sure to follow/friend us on whatever social media you use.
It’s going to be a great year.
-Karen & Ed
UPDATE: MUGS are now just $37 points.
Why spend 2 points or more every meal for your beverage? Our Mug Club is not only good for the environment, it’s good for your points balance.
If you go to either location 3 times a week, you will save over $160 this year. Go 5 times a week and save close to $300 this year.
Mug Club FAQ
What is it?
Purchase a reusable mug from either WesWings or Red & Black Café for free refills of soda and iced coffee every time you visit.
Can I use it at other campus locations?
Only WesWings and Red & Black Cafe.
How much is it? Continue reading
You’re almost here! We know you have questions. “What’s a pail? Tell me about cookie dough.” Good news, we have answers. And we will be providing them over the upcoming weeks.
The most important thing you can do right now is connect with us.
Over the next few weeks we will provide you with answers like
- “Yes, we do take points. You can use your meal plan points at both WesWings and the Red & Black Cafe.”
- “The Red & Black Cafe is located in the back corner of Broad St. Books, the campus bookstore at 45 Broad St. Yes, you can use your meal plan points at the cafe.”
- “WesWings is located in the lower rear level at 156 High St. Yes, you can use your points there too”
- “Sorry, you can’t use your block meals. That’s why most students opt for the plan with the most points.”
- “Yes, it’s raw. Yes, you can eat it.”
- “Yes, were are hiring. Apply on our Website”
- “We recommend over easy, but a scrambled pail is good too.”
Don’t be shy. Feel free to contact us through any of our social media accounts. See you in September.